The Immigration Department requires the following documents to apply to student visa:
- Form ID995A
- Form ID995B (this form will be completed by the local sponsor)
- Photocopy of the applicant’s travel document containing personal particulars, date of issue, date of expiry and/or details of any re-entry visa held (if applicable)
- One recent photo of yourself (affixed on form ID995A)
- A photocopy of your letter of admission from an education institution in Hong Kong, as well as your letter accepting their admission
- Photocopy of proof of the applicant’s financial support, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks etc. In case if someone is sponsoring you financially, that person has to submit a declaration stating their relationship to you, their intention to support your study and living expenses and their financial standing
- Photocopy of proof of the applicant’s accommodation arrangement (if the applicant is under the age of 18)
Applicant must nominate a local sponsor to be able to apply for student visa. A local sponsor of non-local students can be their educational institution granting the acceptance or individual. In case if you will nominate an individual, he/she should be:
- of the age of 18 or above;
- a bona fide Hong Kong resident;
- acquainted with the applicant; and
- financially capable to support the applicant and provide him/her with accommodation.
Besides, if the applicant is under the age of 18, one of the applicant’s parents should authorise the sponsor or his/her relative/friend in Hong Kong to be the guardian of the applicant. A consent letter duly signed by both the guardian and one of the applicant’s parents should be produced.
Here are the forms and documents to be submitted by the sponsor:
- Application for Entry for Study (Sponsor) in Hong Kong (ID 995B)
- An undertaking that the sponsor is prepared to provide accommodation to the applicant during his/her period of study in Hong Kong [if the applicant is under the age of 18]
- Photocopy of the sponsor’s Hong Kong identity card #
- Photocopy of the sponsor’s travel document containing personal particulars, date of issue, date of expiry, and the latest arrival stamp/landing slip/extension of stay label in the HKSAR [for non-permanent resident of the HKSAR only] #
- Photocopy of proof of the sponsor’s financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, tax receipts and salary slips; and an undertaking that the sponsor is prepared to provide financial support to the applicant during his/her period of study in Hong Kong #
# Submission of the documents is not required if the sponsor is the educational institution granting the acceptance
Students usually submit all the documents to their educational institutions, and their institution will complete the submission of your documents to the Immigration Department. It normally takes around six weeks for Immigration Department to process a visa application after receiving all the required documents. The Immigration Department cannot start the process if they did not receive all necessary documents. Therefore, it is very important to apply as earlier as possible.
When your visa will be ready, your university will post it to your home address. Usually, it takes around 4-5 days. You will just have to stick it to your passport.
In case if you have applied a bit late, and your visa is not ready upon the start of the semester, you can come to Hong Kong, if its visa free for your country for a certain period and receive it here. Then, you will have to activate your visa by going to Macau or any other country.